New Mom Survival Tips
You hear and know there are advantages to breastfeeding; it is good to remember them when you are getting through the tough parts!
- Breast milk provides the most complete form of nutrition for baby.
- Breastfed babies tend to gain less unnecessary weight.
- Premature babies who are breastfed do better than those who are formula fed.
- Breast milk helps protect baby from bacteria and viruses.
- Breastfed babies' immune systems have a better response to immunizations.
- Breastfeeding lowers Mom's risk of breast and ovarian cancers.
- Breastfeeding can help Mom lose the pregnancy pounds faster.
- Every drop of breastmilk is helpful, even if you need to supplement.
In addition to a couple great Nursing Bras, these are a few items we feel can help every new mother!
- Comfortable Bra: Anytime Nursing Bra - a must have for comfort at the end of pregnancy. A great flexible first nursing bra.
- Find a lactation consultant you can easily make an appointment with: International Lactation Consultant Association is a great source click here.
- A Nursing Pillow (Such as My Breast Friend)
- Nipple Cream - We love Motherlove as they are the healthiest and their materials don't tend to stain.
- Washcloths - Keep them handy while nursing to mop up spills.
- Nursing Pads - LilyPadz are reusable no leak pads, or a variety of other washable or disposable pads.
- Water bottle - for thirsty nursing mom, you are drinking for 2 remember 64 oz / day!
- Sleep - Right? Take naps with your baby, sleep is important. Sleep on your LEFT side, since this helps the distribution of nutrition to your growing fetus!